Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Diet Coke anyone?



I woke up at 4, 5 and 6 this morning with a strange urge to have a Diet Coke. The funny thing is that I am not a big soda drinker and I would much rather have Pepsi if I had to choose. When I finally got up for the day I realized why this particular urge was waking me up. I was experiencing my first ice storm. The sound of the ice hitting the window is the same sound that the fridge makes when it crushes ice and all my Diet Coke addicted friends love nothing more than an ice cold (crushed ice) Diet Coke at just about anytime of the day. The good news is that I knew we were going to be snowed in again so I grabbed some soda when I stopped at the Walmart yesterday morning to stock up on food. I think that today we will be making orange soda flavored icees.

....Ian just informed me that we may get a tornado after this cold front leaves us and before the next one comes. Why did we move here again? I was happy with the imminent disaster that was coming in Utah, the great earthquake that I was informed so many times would be coming any day. I guess it is because on Saturday and Sunday we were outside all day in gorgeous weather.
It has been a good week this week I had a few activities to go to we met a few new people and it finally feels like we are part of the ward...I am the new ward librarian. I think I got the best calling the church has to offer. You get to see lots of people and chat but have almost no obligation during the week. There is no preperation as long as you are organized while you are there on Sunday. One of the funniest things that happened this week was I went to the library and chatted with the new assistant librarian and later that day went visiting teaching. After a few minutes of conversation we discovered that the lady I was visiting with is the daughter of the other librarian and she (the librarian) is my Aunts sister and they all lived in Monticello, UT. I guess it is true that it is a small world in the church.

One of the big changes in life since moving here is that we finally broke down and got a pet. Juliet is in Heaven and we now have a furry rabbit that I am already regretting. Sweet little Nelly Bunny growls at me! I didn't even know that a rabbit could growl. I also strongly dislike picking up poo! Maybe she can sense my dislike. Ian tried to tell me just a few days ago that Nelly was a member of the family. HA! I don't think that 'anyone' you would consider eating is a real member of the family. So I guess that makes Nelly Bunny more food storage in my mind than family.






3 comments:

  1. Hi April - another masterpiece! You have such a way with words. I loved the diet coke connection and I really laughed at the rabbit section. I predict your disdain will be short-lived, I hope! Having said that, Steph's rabbit peed on Dad when we were there at Christmas. I knew it would as he held it for too long! If I could have any pet in the world, I'd choose a rabbit. But it seems like I am destined for a life-time of apartment living. We did think of moving into a village house, like many of our colleagues, but I am just too afraid of the random village dogs, the thought of a python creeping into the home, or triad neighbors who might do us in in the night! I'm exaggerating, of course, but these are all actually within the realms of possibility. So - there'll be no rabbit for me, thank you, just now. But do, try, at least, to enjoy the little bunnykins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love that calling - what a great way to meet people in your new ward, too. And I'm with you on the pet thing. We "might" get a dog, someday, when we live out of town and have a big yard it can rule. No way would I have an indoor pet. Wait? Does a fish count?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to a pet store as a family date night/ fieldtrip tonight. Very funny to see my kids run at each new animal they saw in the store. Our oldest girl (3 yrs) did end the trip saying "Dad I really really really really really really really want a dog" I counted, she really said really 7 times. Daddy just said "Really?" A dog can't even be called food storage.... (yuck!)

    ReplyDelete